Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Set different printers for different locations with Windows 7

 

Set different printers for different locations with Windows 7

One of my favorite new features in Windows 7 is the ability to set different printers depending on where you are.  For example, if you were using your laptop at work and at home, you can set a different default printer for each location. I have my laptop set to default to the networked color laser printer when I'm working in my London office, the closest scanner/copier/laser printer when I'm at my desk in Redmond, and my wireless multifunction print/fax/scanner at home.

To do this, click on the Start Menu and type “printers” in the search field, and choose “Devices and Printers.” Click on one of your printers, and click on the “Manage Default Printers” option in the menu bar. You can then specify which printer should be the default for each network you’ve connected to. And you can select the Microsoft XPS Document Writer for locations where you don’t have access to a printer.

Another way Windows 7 is making my life so much easier: I just click print and no matter whether I'm at home or at work, the job is sent to the right device - magic.

Published Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:49 AM by Paul Booth

Paul Booth : Set different printers for different locations with Windows 7

No comments:

Blog Archive